03. Money Longer [Produced By Don Cannon Maaly Raw]
    04. Grab The Wheel [Produced by Don Cannon Co Produced By CuBeatz]
    05. You Was Right [Produced By Metro Boomin]
    06. Baby Are You Home [Produced By Metro Boomin]
    07. Ps & Qs [Produced By Don Cannon]
    08. Team Rocket [Produced by Don Cannon And Lyle LeDuff]
    09. Scott And Ramona [Produced By Wondagurl]

Video

Ultimo mixtape di questo ragazzetto della Pennsylvania, fresco anche di uno slot nell'ultima Freshman Class di XXL. Cè una chiara e percettibile influenza di Young Thug, volendo fare un nome generico [ma senza sottovalutare l'importanza dell'androgino Thugga Thugga], ma è altrettanto percettibile un genuino, intrigante e simpatico spin differente che il nostro propone con il suo materiale; mi prendo la libertà di citare in maniera integrale l'unica recensione attualmente disponibile su RateYourMusic, credo sintetizzi tutto ciò che cè da sapere per inquadrare ed eventualmente apprezzare nella giusta ottica questo prodotto:

CITAZIONE
    Walking back from the corner store the other day when a beat up Jetta rolled by blasting some trap made by a 21 year-old 2,000+ miles away. The snares and the bass and a real angry voice who's "got your bitch blowin dick like a hookah stick". I'm usually the one in the car, not the one on the street annoyed or (dare I say) offended. I mean the first line of this tape is "woke up in the morning, brush my teeth, smack my bitch ass". But this routine seems to shock even Lil Uzi, who lets out a "damn!" ad-lib after smacking that ass, and everything on Lil Uzi Vert vs. The World is so alive that it makes the plodding grime of much of trap's second decade seem like a waste.

Courtesy of Don Cannon, "Ps & Qs" has some crazy accordion-type beat that is an easy highlight, and Lil Uzi Vert matches its heights in his shaming of his girl's ex, destroying him so effectively that there's nothing vindictive in him asking you to join along with the hook and "ooh sing it: He ain't got no money!" Lil Uzi's clearly happy to be where he is, but I think there are more times on the tape when he mentions that his friends and his mom think he's famous than times when he claims he actually is. The production, mostly from fellow Philadelphian Maaly Raw, is cohesive and clean, matching the open-eyed joy and familiarity of Uzi's voice.

That voice is clearly Thug-influenced, and has no use for traditional rap structures, like verses or features. On "You Was Right", Uzi lets Metro Boomin drop his tags and get out of the way, and the drawling "yeah alright alright alright, you was right, I was wrong" he opens with shift your limbs' bop as effectively as Metro's drums.

On "Grab the Wheel", another standout, Uzi says he "might rock all white just like the Pope" and follows up with his best Thug impression: "like the who??" It's a nice line, and I thought he would repeat it. Instead he shifts just a little, suggesting instead he rock all white "just like the stove". The change made me laugh, but 90 seconds later he repeats both lines again. I wasn't sure what to make of that: oh, so is this part of the hook now? Are these the best raps you've got? Lil Uzi answers perfectly. The beat drops for a few seconds and he comes back in:
    I don't know,
    I'm only 21, I don't know.

This is music that knows it's ok to not know.

Di mio ci tengo principalmente ad aggiungere che il riferimento a Scott Pilgrim nell'ultima traccia è tanto semplice quanto brillante, nonchè una cosa che in passato ci si poteva aspettare da gente come boh, Lupe Fiasco o Nacho Picasso.

• • •

Group
    Mod

Status
    Anonymous
    Video

:wub:

1 replies since 19/6/2016, 13:55   241 views